Requirements Management: A Key to Project Success
Learn to manage change in requirements and keep the project in check
Requirements are the foundation of any project, yet the number of project failures attributed to the inability to manage change of requirements is incredibly high. As projects progress, ‘scope creep’ often occurs and customers’ and the project sponsor’s needs frequently seem to be at odds. How can the project manager cope with all these conflicting objectives?
This Requirements Management training course takes the project manager beyond the basics of all aspects of the requirements management process, from concept through closeout. Participants will learn up-to-date practices for requirements management and a recommended requirements management process, including proper selection of tools and techniques for specific types of projects. You’ll explore evaluation techniques to verify requirements early in the project life cycle so as to prevent costly rework downstream. Even with a solid process for managing requirements, fallout may still result from the battle between important project stakeholders. Participants will practice methods of effective relationship management and negotiation to ensure agreement on functional requirements.
An action-packed, integrated case study will provide experienced project managers, who already have experience with the basics of requirements management, the opportunity to practice new skills in a supportive learning environment. Participants responsible for all types of projects, from construction to new product development to information technology, will take home tools and techniques to put to immediate use.
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Requirements Factors Influencing Project Problems
- Identify causes and symptoms of requirements problems
- Describe the impact of ineffective requirements on project success
- The Project Requirements Process
- The project management and requirements management life cycles
- Steps in the requirements management process
- Fixed and evolving requirements
- Organisational standards
- Stakeholder Assessment
- Identification and categorisation
- Relationship management
- Communication plan
- Risk factors
- Requirements Identification
- Conducting a stakeholder analysis
- Identifying risks and mitigation strategies
- Critical Success Factors
- Traceability matrix
- Global requirements mapping
- Test plan
- Requirements management standards
- Requirements Derivation
- Functional and non-functional requirements
- Global requirements
- Identifying multiple views
- Tools and techniques
- Documentation standards
- Evaluation and Approval
- Selection of tools and techniques
- Requirement/prototype review
- Risk assessment
- Baseline documentation
- Internal and external reviews
- Change Management
- Evaluate policy for project needs
- Establish business criteria for change control
- Select tools and techniques
- Success criteria
- Validation of Project Outcomes
- Acceptance criteria
- Project test results
- Closeout Procedures
- Identify requirements documents that are necessary for project closeout
- Describe information available to the project manager for closeout
- Explain how to evaluate the effectiveness of the requirements management process for the project
What will I learn?
- Apply a requirements management process to a project life cycle
- Use proper evaluation techniques to verify and gain agreement upon requirements that meet specific business and technical objectives
- Identify formal and informal techniques to manage stakeholder relationships within the requirements management process
- Implement a change management process to control scope creep
Is this course for me?
This course is for experienced project managers who are responsible for developing requirements for their projects and ensuring the end result is aligned to the requirements. Also suitable for those analysing the results of requirements change requests on other areas of the project.
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course you will get the chance to verify your level of knowledge in a test. You will receive a certificate upon successful participation. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.