Project Leadership, Management and Communications
Build, manage, empower and lead your project teams to success through communication.
This interactive course provides a solid foundation in key leadership competencies and affords you the opportunity for a truly transformational leadership experience. As a participant, you will complete a self-assessment of your leadership skills, then master the basics of leadership competencies.
You’ll learn how to empower yourself and other team members through more effective negotiation based on an understanding of the differences between competitive and collaborative negotiation approaches - and you’ll gain an appreciation of the importance of a collaborative “win/win” negotiation process. You will also discover how business and personal ethics can influence your leadership style and personality, and how your individual leadership style and personality can influence the course a project will take.
Working with other professionals and an experienced instructor in an interactive classroom environment, you’ll engage in revealing case studies, lively discussion and practical exercises that will enable you to master these important skills and get the most from your most valuable project management resource - your people!
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Leadership and Management
- What is leadership?
- The difference between leadership and management
- Assess your leadership competencies and developmental needs
- Articulate your leadership vision, in light of the assessment, and consider the best way(s) to realise it
- Processes for establishing direction, aligning people and motivating people to follow your vision
- Identify different leadership styles: tasking, encouraging, steering and entrusting
- Leading Effective Teams
- What is a team?
- The stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning
- Leading and maintaining effective, productive teams
- Evaluate team progress and coach team members as necessary
- Building Relationships
- How individual differences affect your ability to lead
- Identify your motivational patterns using the Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI®)
- How to be more influential by understanding motivational patterns
- Using an understanding of individual differences to help you manage conflict more effectively
- Ethics and Leadership
- Define ethics and the link between ethics and trust
- The role of ethical behaviour and leadership
- The difference between personal and organisational ethics
- Discuss the effect of the triple constraint on ethics
- Negotiating Conflict
- Major sources of conflict on project teams
- The five modes of handling conflict: forcing, smoothing, withdrawing, compromising and problem solving
- The difference between 'competitive' negotiation and 'collaborative' negotiation
- Conflict scenarios and strategies for initiating conflict resolution
- Power bases used in typical organisations
- How to plan and conduct collaborative negotiation
- Leading Change
- Your role in a changing organisation
- Predictable stages of adjusting to change
- Appropriate leadership strategies for each stage
- Developing a change management plan
What will I learn?
- Better lead project teams through more effective communication
- Identify motivational value systems to improve productivity and co-operation
- Recognise the role of business and personal ethics in leadership
- Describe predictable change stages and identify appropriate leadership strategies for each stage
- Utilise a powerful four-stage collaborative negotiation process
- Create a Leadership Development Plan to implement when you return to work
Is this course for me?
This course is suitable for Project Managers who want to improve their leadership skills, motivational skills and communication skills.
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course all delegates will receive a certificate. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.