Negotiation Skills for Project Managers
Learn how to analyse negotiation styles and turn conflict into an advantage.
Negotiation is an invaluable skill for any project manager. Not only do you negotiate agreements with vendors and contractors, but also you must effectively negotiate with stakeholders, customers, and team members throughout the life of a project. This three-day highly interactive experience covers the dynamics, processes, and techniques of internal and external negotiation situations faced by project managers.
Short on lecture and long on practice, this course provides participants the opportunity to experience one-on-one negotiation. You will learn how to analyse your own and the other party’s negotiation style, diffuse conflict and turn it into an advantage, and negotiate more effectively. You will also learn how to negotiate for efficient cost and schedule performance and achieve successful results on time. You’ll receive coaching and feedback from the instructor and the other participants.
By the end of the course, you will have explored the dynamics of both the competitive and collaborative models of negotiation as well as some of the implications of team negotiations. Not only will you gain new skills, but you will gain experience using them in realistic situations. To ensure you maintain and build these new skills, the course includes a Personal Action Plan, that will ensure the integration of new knowledge and skills in both your personal and professional life.
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Negotiation Fundamentals
- Defining key negotiation terms
- Developing a strong best alternative to negotiated agreement (BATNA)
- Competitive and collaborative approaches to negotiation
- Competitive styles
- Dynamic and static issues
- Negotiation in the Project Management Context
- Negotiation during the project life cycle
- Power and politics
- Negotiating collaboratively
- Analysing and negotiating with stakeholders
- Project constraints during negotiation
- Negotiation and the project constraints
- Influencing Styles
- Diagnosing your own preference for negotiation using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI®)
- Observational techniques to read the influencing style of the other party
- Collaborative Negotiation: The Basic Elements
- Applying behaviours to build trust
- Positions vs. interests
- Clarifying interests in a negotiation
- Converting positions into interests
- Developing mutually satisfying options to achieve desired interests
- Establishing criteria acceptable to both parties to evaluate and select the best option
- Breakthrough strategies for overcoming obstacles to agreement
- Preparing to negotiate collaboratively
- Negotiation Challenges and Complexities
- Complexity vs. difficulty in negotiations
- Power in negotiations
- Negotiating across cultures
- Recognising differences
- Negotiation tips
- Team negotiations
- Clarify interests among team members
- Negotiating up
- Electronic negotiations
- Strategies for negotiating in challenging situations
What will I learn?
- Use competitive and collaborative negotiation strategies with success
- Recover a stalled negotiation using breakthrough techniques to adjust your negotiating style to match the preferences of the other party
- Deactivate the impact emotions and focus on finding agreement
- Apply negotiation skills for efficient cost and schedule performance
- Plan strategies to effectively develop and manage collaborative relationships critical to your project
Is this course for me?
This course is for any professionals who regularly negotiate with internal or external clients. This course is also suitable to those who outsource work to subcontractors.
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course all delegates will receive a certificate. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.