Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Master the five types of critical thinking needed for success in the business environment.
Become adept at all aspects of decision-making and problem solving in the workplace, whether you are implementing innovation, managing crises or planning future strategy. Through this course you will address the five types of critical thinking required in business environments; strategic, tactical, analytical and implicative. You will also learn a five-step problem response process, covering; identifying and analysing problems and opportunities, analysing the environment, exploring potential responses and selecting and implementing the optimal response. Participants will have the opportunity to apply the concepts to a specific problem or opportunities from within their own business environments.
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Our Critical Thinking Model
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Tactical thinking
- Innovative thinking
- Implicative thinking
- Problem/Opportunity Identification and Analysis
- ESI’s Problem/Opportunity Response Process
- Identification and analysis
- Environmental scan
- Response exploration
- Response selection
- Response implementation
- Active vs. passive problem/opportunity identification
- “As is” vs. “To be”
- Tools and techniques for problem/opportunity identification
- Process flowcharting
- Root cause analysis
- Environmental Scan
- What is an environmental scan?
- Internal scan
- External scan
- Stakeholder scan
- Business architecture
- Your business processes/business rules
- Response Exploration
- Tools and techniques for exploring new and unique responses
- Other innovative thinking approaches
- Response Selection
- Capability and value analysis
- Response prioritisation matrix
- Decision trees
- Implications analysis
- Response Implementation
- Communicating the optimal response
- Gaining acceptance by stakeholders
- Managing expectations
- Saying “no” to high profile stakeholders
- Building an action plan
- Ensuring ownership and commitment
What will I learn?
- Use different thought approaches at different times to yield better results
- Generate innovative responses to business problems and opportunities
- Assess your own thinking style preferences
- Think in the present to prepare for the future
- Determine the root cause of business problems and opportunities
- Apply different types of thinking for improved analysis and problem solving
- Assess possible responses accurately to select the optimal response
- Design and execute appropriate action plans
Is this course for me?
This course is aimed at any professional seeking to learn new skills and techniques to effectively solve problems and explore and challenge their own critical thinking style.
What is included in the price?
Food and Refreshments
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Online tools and templates
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course all delegates will receive a certificate. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.