Fundamentals of Business Analysis
Many people are unaware of the discipline of business analysis; many people become business analysts or begin doing business analysis almost by accident, and have never thought of it as a disciplined set of knowledge, skills and techniques. And managers and SMEs who work with those accidental BAs often have no idea that there is a discipline, or that it can provide so much value to work regardless of title.
Fundamentals of Business Analysis addresses the entire scope of business analysis: before, during and after a solution to a business problem is implemented, and also includes enterprise business analysis. It is a broad and shallow overview to allow an understanding of the value that business analysis delivers in terms of executing strategy – both doing the right work and doing the right work right.
This foundational course looks at the whole organisation and how business analysis is applied in articulating and prioritising business needs, identifying and assessing solution options, making recommendations, defining solution scope, requirements management within a project, supporting a solution once it is in place, making sure the business objectives are met and continuously improving the solution to increase its business value.
What topics will be covered in the course?
The Basics of Business Analysis
- What is business analysis?
- Who does business analysis?
- Scope of business analysis
- Contexts for business analysis
- Asking the right questions: Who, what, where, when why and how?
- It’s more than just requirements: Business analysis information
- Requirements classification and traceability
Defining the Business Need
- Types of business needs
- Writing effective goals and objectives
- Stakeholder analysis
- Current and future state analysis
- Feasibility assessment
- Business risk
- Alternatives assessment
- Business cases
- Solution scope recommendation
- Business analysis planning
- The BA approach
- Elicitation techniques and challenges
- Communicating requirements with models
- Acceptance criteria
- Supporting testing and implementation
- Goals of benefits management
- Benefits and value
- The benefits management lifecycle
- Solution evaluation and refinement
- Organisational change management
- Continuous process improvement
- Process analysis and design
- The business ecosystem
- Enterprise analysis models
- Customer value analysis
- Strategy mapping
- Organisation mapping
- Business capabilities
- Value streams
- Selecting a portfolio of projects
- Business architecture
What will I learn?
- Describe the discipline of business analysis
- Explain major functions in the scope of business analysis:
- Defining business needs
- Requirements management
- Benefits management
- Enterprise analysis
Is this course for me?
Fundamentals of Business Analysis is an foundational course for managers, business subject matter experts, developers, project managers, junior business analysts, and anyone else who is responsible for delivering value through project- and programme-based work might be interested in taking this course.
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course you will get the chance to verify your level of knowledge in a test. You will receive a certificate upon successful participation. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.