Facilitation Techniques for Business Analysis
Those practicing business analysis spend a significant amount of time facilitating sessions to gather requirements and other information. Yet, many facilitators lack formal training on how to effectively do so. A successful facilitation session results in requirements and information that can be analysed and worked with once the session is complete. Facilitation Techniques for Business Analysis focuses on teaching the facilitation skills necessary to elicit and analyse requirements on a project.
In this highly interactive course, you will learn how to effectively help stakeholders define their needs and form these into quantifiable requirements through facilitation. As a facilitator, you will learn how to prepare for and conduct both face-to-face and remote group sessions. You will be exposed not only to several facilitation techniques, but you will also learn effective facilitation practices and how to manage conflict in a session. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to practice these skills in a safe environment with a trained facilitator to guide you through various activities. You will leave the class with the confidence to prepare for a session, including creating a facilitation plan, motivating a group’s participation, building consensus, managing conflict, maintaining session focus, and evaluating results for lessons learned.
What topics will be covered in the course?
Facilitation and Business Analysis
- What Is Facilitation?
- The Facilitation Process
- What Is a Facilitator?
- Facilitation in Business Analysis
- Facilitation in Business Analysis Is Iterative
- Roles in Facilitated Sessions
- The Importance of the Role of the Sponsor and SMEs
- BA Facilitation Opportunities
- Good Facilitation is a Combination of Techniques and Practices
Facilitation Session Planning and Techniques
- Considerations for Session Planning
- Session Planning: Objective and Participants
- Session Planning: Potential Risk
- Risk Management Plan
- Session Plan: Environment
- Considerations for Remote Sessions
- Take Advantage of Virtual Tools
- Remote Session Tips
- Session Planning: Agenda and Techniques
- Facilitation Techniques Overview
- Idea Generation/Grouping/Categorisation
- Focus Group
- Various Requirements Workshops (i.e. Process Improvements, JAD’s, Agile Iterations, others)
- Gap Analysis
- Root Cause Analysis (i.e. Fishbone Diagram, 5 Whys);
- Force Field Analysis
- Criteria-Based Grid
- Impact/Effort Grid
- Verification of Facilitation Session Plan
- Facilitation Practices Overview
- Executing a Facilitation Session: Prior, During, Ending
- Active Listening
- Generating Participation
- Maintaining Focus
- Using Visual Aids
- Synthesizing Ideas
- Executing a Facilitation Session
Facilitation Conflict Techniques
- Argument vs. Debate
- Types of Conflict During Facilitation
- How to Prevent Group Dysfunction (The Basics of Team Dynamics: ‘Forming, Storming and Norming’)
- Managing Conflict Between Participants
- Managing Conflict with a Participant
- How to Handle ‘Negativeholics’
- How to Handle Resistance to Change
- How to Manage Diverse Groups and Other Cultural Considerations
- Intervention During Conflict
- Resolving Issues
- Steps for Working Toward Consensus
What will I learn?
- Define facilitation in the context of business analysis
- Identify opportunities for facilitation in business analysis
- Explain the role and responsibilities of a facilitator
- Plan a facilitation session
- Choose appropriate facilitation techniques for a given session
- Conduct a facilitation session using best practices
- Manage conflict during a session
- Describe how business analysis can contribute to your organization and your individual work and responsibilities
Is this course for me?
This course can help those individuals at all levels who need to better facilitate meetings and workshops around requirements or other specific outcomes. While the course focuses in the business analysis space, this is applicable to all disciplines (agile PM, traditional PM, contracting, etc.)
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course you will get the chance to verify your level of knowledge in a test. You will receive a certificate upon successful participation. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.