Analysing Benefits and Refining Solutions
Analysing Benefits and Refining Solutions applies an approach to using business analysis skills that addresses the work needed to ensure that a solution, once in place, actually delivers the business value that was expected of it, and to optimise that business value over its useful life.
A solution could have a useful life of many years, and is likely to evolve over its lifetime, just as the organisation that uses it, and the business context within which it operates will also evolve. One of the challenges of supporting an existing solution is that often, the logic of why a solution is the way it is, and what the original requirements were gradually gets lost.
This course explores the period after solution development and implementation. This may be a time where there is no identified project manager in place, but when an organisation should be evaluating the solution to ensure it is providing the value it was intended to provide. Business analysis remains critical at this point.
Analysing Benefits and Refining Solutions starts with by reviewing the context of benefits management (principles, types of benefits, and the benefit life-cycle) before exploring how to:
- Understand what is necessary to transition to new solutions
- Measure benefits
- Evaluate solution performance against intended benefits
- Establish continuous improvement of solutions and make improvement recommendations
- Manage the human factors of organisational change that accompany solutions
What topics will be covered in the course?
Benefits Analysis and Management
- What are benefits?
- Types of Benefits
- Attributes of a good benefit
- Benefits Ownership
- Emphasising Benefits Management
- Overview of the benefits life cycle
- Ongoing Analysis and Evaluation
- Challenges in evaluating solutions post-implementation
- Key success factors in benefits analysis
- Benefits management scorecard
Benefits Realisation, Tracking, and Reporting
- Benefits Realisation Mapping
- Benefits Tracking
- Benefits Reporting and Adjustment
- Capabilities Roadmap
- Benefits Governance
- Transitioning from Current to Future State
- Analysing and Evaluating CSFs and KPIs
- Solution Evaluation Tasks
- Benefits Measurement and Reporting
- Evaluation techniques
- Assessing Solution Limitations
- Assessing Environmental Limitations
Organisational Change Management
- How are Benefits Realization and Change Management Linked?
- Value Realisation
- The people side of change
- Resistance to change
- Organisational inertia
- Leveraging the organisational culture
- Individual leadership
- The Role of Communication
- Assessing organisational readiness
- Reinforcing and enforcing change
- Overall change readiness assessment
- Designing for flexibility, scalability, and adoption
- Value stream analysis
- Reducing waste and variability
- Opportunities and emergent benefits
- Governance of Continuous Improvement
- Governance scope
Changes to Technology Systems
- The role of technology
- The IT perspective
- IT Considerations
- IT Governance
- The role of IT in change initiatives
- IT support for solutions and benefits
What will I learn?
- Describe how project- and programme-level solutions provide benefits that contribute to enterprise strategic goals
- Measure, track, evaluate, and manage the solutions that are intended to deliver the required benefits
- Define the role of change management, continuous improvement, and technology in how successfully solutions are implemented
What is included in the price?
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course you will get the chance to verify your level of knowledge in a test. You will receive a certificate upon successful participation. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.