Fundamentals of DevOps
An intermediate level foundational course that discusses how development and operations teams work better together to improve quality and speed of delivery through continuous delivery.
Fundamentals of DevOps provides new ways of thinking about how development and operations can work better together to deliver value to customers more quickly. It is expected that course participants already have a solid background in IT as well as strong knowledge of Agile, Lean, Systems Thinking, Kanban, Continuous Delivery, and related techniques and practices.
This course builds on that knowledge and makes connections to the concept of DevOps. The key principles, components, and considerations of DevOps are explored. This course does not align to any formal body of knowledge for DevOps because one does not exist. It is highly interactive, with almost half of the course time dedicated to exercises and discussions. While this course addresses the considerations for a DevOps implementation, this course does not focus on any particular tools and technologies needed to implement DevOps.
What topics will be covered in the course?
- The Need for DevOps
- Describe the current challenges between development and operations functions
- Define DevOps and how it has evolved as a set of practices
- Explain how DevOps can turn conflicts into opportunities
- List the benefits of using the DevOps approach
- DevOps and Other Mindsets and Techniques
- Identify the benefits of incremental and iterative delivery methods
- Connect the best practices of Lean, Agile, and Systems Thinking to DevOps
- Recognise the ways in which DevOps reduces waste and increases efficiency to deliver value more quickly
- DevOps Principles
- Evaluate the benefits of a continuous learning approach
- Describe the four pillars of CAMS and how they relate to DevOps
- Appreciate the cultural aspects of DevOps and the importance that people have in relationship to tools: people design processes that use tools
- The DevOps Lifecycle
- Distinguish among and define the components of the DevOps life cycle: architecture, development, testing, integration, deployment, monitoring
- Describe the techniques used in each life cycle component
- Measure DevOps performance by using key indicators
- Implementing DevOps
- List the requirements in terms of people, processes, and technology needed to implement DevOps
- Identify the possible constraints to implementing DevOps
- Explain the impact and consequences of not implementing DevOps
- Identify ways you can immediately benefit from DevOps practices
What will I learn?
- Define DevOps
- Explain the benefits that DevOps provides
- Connect DevOps to the practices of Lean, Agile, and Systems Thinking
- Identify and differentiate between the components of the DevOps cycle
- List the aspects to consider when implementing DevOps
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.