Advanced Project Management Training
Increase your effectiveness and efficiency as a programme manager in achieving the strategic value of a programme.
Programme management doesn’t simply entail managing interrelated projects-rather; it’s about managing programmes to maximise benefits realisation while ensuring that programmes (and their components) align with organisational strategy and overall strategic objectives. Whether you’re new to the field or a seasoned practitioner, this course offers a hands-on approach to programme management.
The course contains an integrated case study and walks participants through the life cycle of a typical programme, identifying critical success factors at each step in the process. In addition to the latest insights from the Standard for Program Management, 2nd Edition, this course is packed with practical application tools, techniques and best practices for managing programmes. You’ll learn to initiate a programme, develop a solid business case, manage stakeholders at all levels, develop a detailed roadmap (including programme and governance plans), and define key deliverables and outputs needed for realising programme benefits. You’ll also manage change and programme challenges and close out the programme effectively.
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Introduction to Programme Management
- Relationships and differences between projects, programmes and portfolios
- Programme life cycle
- Interdependence between projects and programmes
- Critical success factors for programme management
- Pre-programme Preparations
- Strategic benefits of programmes
- Organisational mission, vision and values, and how they influence strategy
- Align programme objectives with organisational objectives
- High-level business case
- The programme manager's role
- Programme Initiation
- Programme charter
- Stakeholder management plan, including schedule and cost estimates
- Plan for programme setup
- Programme Setup
- Programme architecture
- Benefits realisation plan
- Plan for the remainder of the programme
- Set up the programme infrastructure; including governance tools, PMO, facilities and other processes
- Metrics for measuring and controlling the programme
- Delivery of Programme Benefits
- Governance structure for monitoring and controlling programme components
- Factors for project sequencing in order to meet programme objectives and realise benefits
- Monitor the programme
- Respond to programme changes and execute corrective actions when necessary
- Coordinate activities between programme components/projects
- Manage impact of organisational changes and benefits
- Programme Closure
- Stakeholder communication
- Ensure programme closure and benefits of realisation
- Programme closure activities
- Transition to operations and maintenance
- Lessons learned
What will I learn?
- Increase your effectiveness and efficiency as a programme manager in achieving the strategic value of a programme
- Follow a systematic approach to managing programmes
- Apply proven tools and techniques to programme management
- Recognise benefits management as the primary responsibility of the programme manager
- Use a standard vocabulary for programme management
- Distinguish project management, programme management and portfolio management
- Describe the programme life cycle and recognise the value of following this approach
- Understand the critical success factors of programme management; maintaining alignment with strategy, managing benefits and stakeholders and executing programme governance
Is this course for me?
This course is aimed at experienced project managers and programme managers looking for the foundations and best practices of Programme Management to increase their effectiveness and efficiency in achieving the strategic value of a programme.
What is included in the price?
Lunch, snacks, and refreshments on all course days
Online tools and templates
Individual training consultation before and after the course
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
At the end of the course you will get the chance to verify your level of knowledge in a test. You will receive a certificate upon successful participation. This course is also eligible if you aim to achieve an Associate’s or Master’s Certificate from George Washington University. Learn more.
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives.